ICA’s mission is to defend and grow markets for copper based on its superior technical performance and its contribution to a higher quality of life worldwide.
Through collective funding, and effective member oversight, ICA’s strategies can be executed much more effectively than by companies working individually. Key strategic elements include:
- Position copper and the copper industry as addressing sustainable development issues to the benefit of society
- Maintain industry license to operate and ensure market access for copper products
- Invest in health, environment and sustainable development research and regulatory advocacy programs to:
- Support regulatory policies that safeguard industry competitiveness
- Enable industry to meet regulatory requirements, such as the EU’s REACH regulation and the United Nations Classification & Labeling of ores and concentrates
- Position copper as an essential micronutrient for all life forms and as a sustainable material benign to the environment
- Deliver an additional one-million tonnes of copper demand by 2016
- Increase copper intensity of use in products, e.g., in motors and transformers to improve energy efficiency, and in building electrical systems to improve safety and convenience
- Defend established markets against intense substitution challenges caused by persistent high relative material costs
- Create new markets through technological innovation and promotion, e.g. Antimicrobial CopperTM for touch surfaces in healthcare, schools and public transport; aquaculture cage systems, to help meet growing demand for seafood; and heat-exchange applications, to improve energy efficiency and air quality
Copper Alliance™ organizations support and execute ICA’s value proposition at the regional and local level.