Joint position paper of ECI and partners on the proposed recast of the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD)
The recast of the EPBD must better consider electrical installations to ensure buildings’ efficiency, future-readiness, smartness and safety.
- Electrical installations must be considered as a Technical Building System (TBS Art 2.6), and TBS must be upgraded to reach an optimal level (Art 8).
- Electrical installations in non-residential buildings must be covered by energy efficiency inspections (Art 20).
- National inspection regimes of existing electrical installations in residential buildings must be deployed as part of National Building Renovation Plans (Art 3, Annex II).
- Energy Performance Certificates (Art 16 and Annex V) must integrate information about the latest inspection of electrical installations and their readiness to install equipment, such as an EV charging point, a solar photovoltaic, a heat pump or a home battery.
- Electrical installations must also be integrated in the Smart Readiness Indicator (Annex IV) and Renovation Passports (Article 10).
Read the full position paper: Electrical installations are the backbone of zero emission buildings, they must be better considered within EPBD